Thursday, May 05, 2005

Do you have a Support Team -- or a Sabotage Team?

Last Monday I was in Phoenix presenting to the Phoenix Shared Vision Network organization. I was honored to have my father, who lives in Phoenix, be there to support me. During my presentation, I shared with the audience about a time when I struggled to make event $1000/month. I was scared, overwhelmed and sickened by the thought that I might have to go out and get a J.O.B. again. Ugh!

One of the things that kept me going was my support team. My dad was one of the people who told me every day that he believed in me. I believe I've been one of the fortunate ones -- I'm surrounded by people who every day help me see new possibilities, talk me out of my "stuff" when I'm having a down day, and are there to co-create the dreams I've always believed in.

I've coached clients who have not been so lucky. When you are an entrepreneur and everyone around you is employed, it can be a long, lonely road to success. One of my client's is married to someone who would often chide her for being excited about a new project, or make her feel bad when she "blew too much cash" on her business. Her friends kept asking her when she was going to get a real job. Every step forward was sabotaged by her lack of support.

The turning point for her was when she started spending more time with people who believed in her and shared her entrepreneurial passion. Within 3 months she had given herself a 45% raise, attracted more clients than she could handle, and refocused her business on her real passion.

So what can you do to create a strong support team?

  1. Create a mastermind group. A mastermind group is 5 - 7 people who come together to play big, expand their comfort zone, and support each other in greater levels of success. Read more about masterminding at http://www.successconnections.com/newsletter/may05.htm.
  2. Collaborate only with supporters. You don't have to play with people that you don't like, don't believe in, and who don't make you feel good. Collaboration is meant to expand your possibilities -- be selective about who you share your ideas with.
  3. Share your vision. When you allow others into your vision of success, many will be so moved and inspired that they will want to join you. Powerful people attract other powerful people.
  4. Be willing to invite others in. If you are someone who tends to do everything alone, you won't get much support. Seek other people of like-mindedness who will support you.
  5. Communicate your needs. People often want to help but don't know how. When you clearly communicate how someone can help you achieve your dreams and goals, your supporters will know how to get involved.

When you are a entrereneurial leader, you need support. The more support you have, the higher you can fly. Remember the song Wind Beneath My Wings? Well, its time for you to create your wind.

Join me on May 17th when I interview one of the people on my support team -- my mentor and friend, Stephanie Frank -- as a part of my VIP mentoring program. She is the author of the Accidental Millionaire. Be my "eavesdropping guest" by registering here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home