Sunday, September 17, 2006

What is Motivating You?

What is motivating you to get up every day and accomplish more? When you think about what it takes to be an entrepreneur, there has to be something internal that drives you to do whatever it takes, overcome the obstacles that get in the way, and often work long, hard hours to keep it all going.

So what does it take for you?
  • Lots of money?
  • A title or enhanced credibility? (Like "millionaire")
  • A sense of accomplishment?
  • Making a difference?
  • Recognition of your peers?

Whatever it is, it is quite important to know what motivates you so when you do feel a down-day, overwhelmed or ready to throw in the towel, you can get reconnected to why you started your own business in the first place.

Here are a few of my favorite ways to keep my inspiration going:

  • Watching CNBC's High Net Worth Show. The other day I saw the $200,000 infinity pool that will be in my future multi-million dollar mansion. =-) Seriously though. This show is a real inspiration to self-made wealth.
  • Planning a spa retreat or exotic vacation. I know I'll get to recoup and relax so I don't mind kicking it into high gear for awhile.
  • Reading emails from raving fans and happy clients. I love being able to hear first hand from someone how I have helped them focus on achieving better results.
  • Take a day off -- on a Tuesday. What better way to remind yourself why you became an entrepreneur than to have freedom in your busy week.
  • Go on a date with my niece. When I first left Corporate America, one of the things I wanted was time to be with my family. Today, five years later, one of the best ways to reinforce that is to spend time with her. Usually, I'll pick her up from school on a Monday or Friday for a date at the bookstore.

You will probably notice that mine revolve around my core values -- family, financial and time freedom and relaxation (through travel.) Do you know your core values and how to experience more of them? If not, it's time to get crystal clear about what motivates you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home