Monday, July 30, 2007

A Four-Hour Work Week...Really?

After the 5th person told me about reading "The 4 Hour Work-Week" by Timothy Ferriss, I had to pick it up and see what the buzz was all about.

I mean, who wouldn't want to read all about how to work less, right?

The book is truly a paradigm-shift for most of us, especially those who truly love what they do.

Here is a quick overview of what I took away from the book (I either learned it or was reminded of a concept in a new way.)
  • There is a source for "cheap" labor overseas that was only a rumor for me previously (Ferriss provides actual websites)
  • Most entrepreneur's don't delegate because they think because they can do it better that they should keep the task. Ferriss points out the goal is really to free your time to focus on bigger and better things -- like your lifestyle!
  • You must test your ideas before you invest countless hours and money building something you don't know if the world wants or will buy. He maps out a great testing strategy.
  • The ruthless "task" cut-back process is fantastic. The addiction to email is the #1 contributor to unaccomplished goals!
  • His story about getting rid of the 80% of the "time wasting, energy draining" clients was right up my alley. I also teach my clients this and it works!

Here is what I would offer to those who jump on the "4-Hour Workweek" bandwagon.

The truth is if you love your work, you will never want to work only 4 hours a week. My guess is Ferriss has huge ADD and never really had a calling. But his calling became to teach others how to simplify their approach to living their ideal lifestyle. The principles in this book are excellent if you apply them to your own world.

Remember, a formula only works for you if you know how to align it with your own values, priorities and needs. Take what works and leave the rest.

If you love the idea of building a team (and you should) you might want to check out www.virtualteambuildingtelebootcamp.com. It is the program I teach to help people truly master the necessary skills, mindset and habits of someone who has a virtual team.

As for the book, for less than the price of dinner you will definitely get a brand new take on how to work less! It's a great read and I highly recommend it.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home